Tuesday, July 29, 2008

May 2009

I. Time and the Clock

The other day I was listening to time
As it passed through the clock.
Chains, clappers and cogs
It made more noise than one hundred
At the village bell
And this pleased my soul.

I prefer time when it shows itself
Rather than passing among us noiselessly
Like a thief in the night.

II. The Mask

A heavy object of hollow bronze
In the shape of a mask with eyes closed
Rises slowly and alone
Very high in the sonorous desert.

Up to this green star, to this Visage
Which has remained silent for ten thousand years
I fly with no effort,
I approach with no fear.
I knock with my curled finger
On the hard forehead on the convex eyelids,
The sound terrifies and overwhelms me:
Far away in the limpid night
My eternal soul echoes.

Radiance, darkness, smile, solitude!
I will not go violate the secret
I remain next to the Face
Since I speak and resemble it.
Meanwhile all around the splendor is emptiness,
Brilliant nocturnal crystals of summer.
-Jean Tardieu

III. The Last Poem

I’ve dreamt so strongly of you,
I’ve walked so much, talked so much,
So loved your shadow,
That I’ve nothing left of you,
I’m left to be the shadow among shadows
To be one hundred times more shadow than the shadow
To be the shadow that will appear and reappear
In your sun-filled life.
-Robert Desnos

All that plus Berlioz's Romeo and Ravel's complete Mother Goose? Come on!

No comments: